Search my blog

Saturday 14 January 2012

Thank you to Prof Kevin Morgan and the BBC

My usual routine in the morning is to get up go the toilet and then either myself or Charito make me a drink and then I go on the computer for a number hours while Charito goes back to bed! Why? because my normal wake up time has been about 4am in the morning and once I wake up I can’t get back to sleep. Sometimes it’s worse. I try staying up till 1am and then I’m awake at 3am. I’ve tried just lying there and going back to sleep but I can’t.

Yesterday however I saw a News Items by Tim Muffett from the BBC regarding insomnia and although I wouldn’t consider that I have insomnia per se I have been finding it difficult. Tim interviewed an expert Prof Kevin Morgan Director of the Sleep Research Centre at Loughborough University

The Article:

Is enough being done to help people with insomnia?

One of Prof Kevin Morgan’s suggestions was to repeat the word ‘THE’ over and over again at irregular intervals – “the mind space required to do this blocks out almost everything else” . I used this each time I woke up. Yes I still woke up at silly times, but I lay back down again and used this method to try and get back to sleep. It worked like a dream (pun intended). I can only remember thinking about it for a few minutes. I was really surprised when I woke up on the last occasion at 6:30am.

Thank you Prof Morgan and the Tim Muffett for reporting on this issue.