Search my blog

Wednesday 26 January 2011

My Myeloma update

If you have been following my last few posts, you will know that I haven’t been well with a cough/cold and last night my nose bleeding.

Well today I went to the hospital to have my bone marrow biopsy and full skeletal X-Rays. I’m not going to make any jokes in this post, just the truth.

I don’t feel up to writing all the ins and outs of how painful etc it was, but Dr Lee came to speak to me after I had further blood tests and told me that my Myeloma had relapse completely but not only relapsed but it has advanced dramatically. My blood count had decreased and my platelets have decreased to 32. I’m going to start on the Velcade probably next Wednesday. I asked if this will reduce my life expectancy and after a pause he said yes it would as we are now much further along on the expected treatment that we thought we were.

I can have Velcade and something else that I can’t remember the name of, but that would make me quite ill for the next 5 or 6 months, so have decided to go the Velcade with some steroids which I may be able to continue work with. I’m going to start off on the mix that I can work with and see if that works for me if it doesn’t then I will try the other one. I could go for a second transplant but they don’t know if that would work for me but they could try, frankly I would rather do something that has a bit more of a success rate than ‘it might or try’. It would also mean a long time again getting ready and a long time to recover that again may not work.

Overall today has not been a good day for me. Again they wanted me to stay in hospital while they gave me some antibiotics and monitored me, but after the x-rays came back and my temperature was stable he allowed me to go home with the antibiotics.

Tomorrow after some sleep and rest I may feel a bit better and try to get my positive side back, but at the moment I’m feeling down.

6 comments:

  1. Sean,
    I am so sorry to read that your myeloma has relapsed, especially considering all you have endured. I appreciate your honesty in expressing how awful this cancer is and how there are ALOT of bad days. I am praying that the Velcade and steroids give you relief and beat the MM back, that you can continue to amuse us readers with your wit and talent with the camera! (by the way, our son is in Cuzco,Peru through April doing medical triage and dentistry through a clinic. Currently he is in the jungle for 2 weeks working with children in a village. What part of Peru is Charito from? Our son loves the people there) Again, many prayers are coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and all the family. Hope a decent sleep last night has helped you to wake up a little more refreshed and ready to face the day as your positive self. Take your time and don't do too much. Anna and gang.xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean,
    keep positive and don't get too down.
    We all hope the next step takes on a more positive path for you.
    Take it easy,
    Love ronson and danzo x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean we all know how hard it is for you I wish with all my heart there was something I could do to ease it all for you. You know my Beliefs and the future I hold so dear. That is what I am holding out for you. I really hope what ever treatment you take on next will help you. I could not have been so Jovial as you have been. I thank you for teaching us all a lesson. My prayers are with you and for you to still keep you strong in your outlook. Hang in there something better may yet be brought out that could be of help to you. In the meantime I am thinking of you and Maria with love xx
    Carol Jameson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this this morning (whilst I was working of course) and couldn't think what to put. I walked Bud and thought, I told B when he was suitably awake and thought and I still don't know exactly what to say. It's one of those times when a hug is needed. So have a virtual hug from the three of us - it's okay neither Bud or B drool.

    And remember Velcade works in a different way to Thalidomide (which isn't to say that Revlimid won't work either even though they are from the same 'family') and fancy asking that poor doctor about life expectancy for all he knows you, or he, could get hit by a bus tomorrow! Please remember to use your Green Cross Code! love P xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you have to start all over again.We are thinking of you. oh and we just joined this blog thingie... :)

    ReplyDelete